Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sick Dogs




This has been a hectic week in the Marable household. It started Sunday morning when we woke up to throw up in the kennel. There were a few more episodes during the day and we thought it was Abby who was sick. Then I noticed Hank was acting very lethargic and that night I went to feed them and he didn't even move at the sound of food hitting his bowl! If you know Hank, he LOVES to eat and so we knew something was wrong. That next day he was still throwing up and not eating. We had him sleep in the bathroom and I checked on him periodically throughout the night. He wasn't getting better so I took him to the vet on tuesday where we found his weight had dropped from 67 lbs in October to 50lbs!!! He looked so thin, you can see in the picture how thin he looks in his backside. Well, they gave him lots of fluid and antibiotics and sent him home....although they wanted to hospitalize him overnight. We were begging him to eat and drink. It was awful. I had to go to work the next day and I was crying to my friends over it...I am ridiculous. It is hard having a sick dog b/c they are like a baby and can't tell you what hurts! I am thankful to have friends who don't make fun of me for being so attached to a dog!

well, blake went home wednesday and we were able to get him to eat some deli turkey meat! It was so great! Slowly his energy has come back and he ate like himself tonight! We are thrilled. But....Abby wouldn't eat tonight and we just found that she threw up! So, who knows we may have another sick dog on our hands!!! We think Abby made herself throw up because she saw all the extra attention we gave Hank! We are exhausted parents :)

It is so sweet, though, because our work Bible study meets at my house on Mondays and so everyone saw Hank and knew he looked horrible. They all were telling me that he definitely needed to go to the vet. The next day you would have thought I had a sick kid in the hospital from all their calls and text messages! Hank is so loved....it was so sweet! If only he knew all the people who cared for him!

3 comments:

  1. Im sorry Amy! Im glad he's getting better. When you said that he didn't react to his food hitting the bowl...I freaked out! That is not Hank!! Hopefully Abby isn't sick either! Anyways, have a good weekend! See you at the shower on Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw...I'm sorry your puppy's sick! It's an awful feeling...so helpless! They don't complain, poor things. I'm glad he's on the mend! See you tomorrow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!!!!! That breaks my heart. I sure hope it's nothing serious, and please give Hank and Abby many smooches from Aunt Marci and Moose.

    ReplyDelete